Looking for the best agency rank tracking solution?
Rank tracking is essential for agencies to show clients the work they’re doing is earning them visibility in the SERPs for their most important terms.
But, agencies often work with many different businesses in various industries that target different locations, devices, and search engines.
As a result, agencies need to be careful and look for specific functionality when selecting which tool they use to track rankings.
After all, not all rank trackers are created equal.
Some only update rankings every few days. Others only provide rankings for a single search engine. Many don’t include critical features that agencies need to efficiently monitor rankings and demonstrate value to a wide pool of clients.
So, how do agencies choose the right rank tracking tool?
In this post, we’ll cover the key features to look for and then examine a small handful of the best agency rank tracking options.
10 Key Features to Look for in Agency Rank Tracking Software
OK, let’s kick-off by highlighting the key features you need to look for when selecting your agency rank tracker.
1. Access to accurate ranking data
Agencies need to ensure they are sharing the most up-to-date ranking data with clients, so they can pinpoint wins and losses as soon as possible.
Ranking positions fluctuate quickly, so you’ll need to choose a rank tracking tool with accurate on-demand ranking data, or at a minimum, daily updates.
For example, AccuRanker (aff) updates your keyword rankings automatically every 24 hours, plus if you need even fresher data, you can get an instant on-demand refresh:
2. Tracking across location and device
Agencies often work with clients that operate at a local, regional, national, or global level. As a result, they need a versatile tool to monitor ranking data at all these levels. Plus, they’ll want the option to differentiate between desktop and mobile ranking positions.
For example, SEMrush (aff) allows you to track location-specific keyword rankings at a city, state, or national level and compare keyword positions for desktop and mobile:
3. Monitor rankings across search engines
Agencies often work with clients in different countries that have different search engines. For example, Google for English speaking countries, Baidu for China, and Yandex for Russia.
Or, they may work with clients that are running YouTube campaigns, and want to track rankings on that channel.
Most rank trackers only provide insights for Google. But agencies need a solution that offers the flexibility to monitor rankings on all the major search engines.
For example, AccuRanker (aff) lets you select from Google, Bing, Baidu, Yandex, and YouTube search engines:
4. Organize and segment ranking data
Agencies often work with multiple campaigns and have to track a ton of ranking data. Therefore, they must be able to organize and segment data to allow them to pinpoint issues and extract meaningful insights.
For instance, they may want to tag keywords by product or service type, funnel stage, or search intent.
Most rank tracking software only includes keyword tagging, but you’ll want to look for a tool that offers more.
For example, AccuRanker (aff) lets you segment and filter keyword rankings by different data points, including Rank Change, Search Engine, Search Volume, Location, Share of Voice, and more:
5. View historical ranking performance
Agencies need to show keyword ranking performance over time to justify the investment in their services. As a result, they need a rank tracker that will allow them to quickly show clients how rankings have moved over different intervals – e.g. 7, 30, 60, 90 days, etc. – across different locations, devices, and search engines.
For example, SEMrush (aff) shows historical ranking performance across date ranges of 7, 30, 60, or 90 days:
6. Run competitor comparisons
On a similar note, agencies need to show their clients how visibility is trending across tracked keywords compared to the competition.
For example, SEMrush (aff) places keywords into distribution groups or buckets, like the Top 3, Top 10, or Top 20, so you can track their ranking progress and run competitor comparisons:
#7. Monitor SERP feature movements
SERP features such as snippets, images, videos, carousels, ads, and Map packs are starting to dominate many SERPs in different industries.
Consequently, agencies must adapt their SEO strategies for clients and optimize their content to win these features.
As a result, they not only need to track keyword movements but also SERP feature movements for those keywords.
For example, AccuRanker’s Aggregated SERP Analysis tool gives you a top-level view of 50+ different SERP feature movements across all your keywords in a single screen:
The dashboard shows you how many SERP features you’ve gained over time, filtered by type. Plus, the SERP Feature Ownership graph shows which keywords you’re ranking for, but don’t yet have the SERP feature.
8. Tie rankings to traffic and conversions
Agencies need to tell the story of how the keyword rankings are directly impacting traffic and conversions. A good agency rank tracker will make this job easier.
For example, AccuRanker integrates with Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics to provide in-depth insights that show which URLs are driving the most traffic, conversions, and revenue for your clients.
The Landing Pages report combines AccuRanker and Google Analytics data into one report:
On one side, you can see the keywords, search volume, and Share of Voice from AccuRanker (aff), and on the other side, you get the corresponding organic visitors, bounce rate, goals, and revenue from Google Analytics.
So now you have a complete picture that shows the correlation between rankings and revenue.
9. Generate white-label rank tracking reports
Agencies need to be able to provide white-label reporting for their clients and their partners.
For example, Pro Rank Tracker (aff) has a plethora of powerful ranking reports, including current rankings reports, progress reports, comparison and benchmark reports that agencies can share with their clients and colleagues:
All reports are 100% white-label and available in several languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Dutch.
AccuRanker (aff) includes native white-label reports, plus it also integrates with third-party tools like Google Data Studio for enhanced visual reports (this feature is available across all plans):
10. Set user access and permissions
It’s also essential for agencies to have the ability to organize rank data by client, and then share access to specific projects with each client.
For example, with Pro Rank Tracker (aff), you can set up clients to have access to your account via a sub-account. You can restrict which data each client sees and allow different permissions, such as read-only, specific actions, and full-admin access:
And, like the reports, agencies get a branded login page specifically for their clients, so there’s no trace of Pro Rank Tracker’s logo.
4 Best Agency Rank Tracking Solutions
In this section, we’ll take a look at three dedicated rank tracking tools, plus a rank tracker that’s part of a leading all-in-one SEO platform.
All of these solutions have most, if not all, of the features covered above that are needed by agencies.
AccuRanker (aff) is the world’s fastest and most accurate rank tracker delivering the latest keyword ranking data on-demand. It’s trusted by more than 25,000 agencies and brands, including HubSpot and iProspect.
Top agency rank tracking features:
- Run accurate on-demand updates of ranking data.
- Evaluate market performance with the Share of Voice (SoV) metric.
- Monitor keyword rankings across all major search engines, including Google, Bing, Baidu, Yandex, and YouTube.
- Track rankings of up to 10 competitors per domain.
- Monitor 50+ SERP features, such as featured snippets, knowledge panels, images, videos, carousels, ads, and local packs, for all of your keywords.
- View the historical ranking performance of individual keywords.
- Integrate with Google Analytics to tie ranking data with traffic, conversion, and revenue data in the landing page reports.
- Generate white-label rank tracking reports and schedule them to be automatically delivered to clients on any day of the month.
- Integrate with Google Data Studio to create more visual reports for clients.
Pricing: AccuRanker starts at $99/month for tracking up to 1,000 keywords.
Trial: Start a free 14-day trial
Bonus resource: AccuRanker Review: 13 Reasons to Invest
2: Advanced Web Ranking (AWR)
Advanced Web Ranking (AWR) is the world’s longest-standing rank tracking tool and used by leading agencies and brands such as Microsoft and Amazon.
Top agency rank tracking features:
- Get fresh, accurate keyword rankings daily, weekly, or on-demand.
- Track keyword rankings in over 3,000 search engines and more than 170 countries, including Google, Yandex, Baidu, DuckDuckGo, Amazon, and YouTube.
- Monitor any location in the world from a country, state, and city down to GPS coordinates.
- Track, compare and optimize desktop and mobile rankings.
- Segment ranking data, including SERP features, with fully-customizable filters.
- Measure performance visibility, market share, click share, estimated visits, and average rank.
- Use side-by-side comparisons to learn what content drives better rankings for your competitors.
- Monitor keyword rankings for all types of SERP features available in Google’s search results.
- Compare performance metrics from your rankings, Google Analytics, Search Console, and Google Ads on the same chart.
- Generate in-depth, white-label ranking reports with the WYSIWYG editor.
- Grant user access to clients to view online reports or share a link with them.
- Integrate ranking data with third-party tools, such as Google Data Studio, for more visual client reporting.
SEMrush (aff) is an all-in-one SEO and SEM platform for digital marketing professionals. It’s trusted by over 6 million users, including brands such as eBay and Quora.
Its Position Tracking Tool rivals most standalone rank tracking software and was voted the best rank tracker by 70 SEO professionals and agencies.
So, if you’re looking for an all-in-one SEO platform that provides robust agency-level rank tracking capabilities, SEMrush might be the best fit.
Top agency rank tracking features:
- Access fresh (daily updates), accurate keyword ranking data, including competitors’ data.
- Track keyword rankings at national, regional, and local search engine positions across desktop or mobile.
- Gauge how your target keywords perform with the Visibility index (based on the average position of the domain’s ranking pages).
- Organize and segment keyword rankings by country.
- View historical ranking performance across date ranges of 7, 30, 60, or 90 days.
- Run side-by-side competitor comparisons based on rank distribution position ranges of 1-3, 4-10, 11–50, etc.
- Monitor SERP feature movements, such as snippets, images, videos, carousels, ads, and more, to quickly spot new opportunities.
- Import keywords you want to track directly from Google Analytics.
- Generate white-label branded rank tracking reports.
- Integrate with Google Data Studio to produce branded, informative, and interactive reports for your clients.
- Check to see if ranking fluctuations correspond with SERP volatility in the SEMrush SERP Sensor tool.
4: Pro Rank Tracker
Pro Rank Tracker (aff) is a high-performance rank tracker trusted by over 60,000 agencies and brands worldwide. Its state-of-the-art algorithm gives you incredibly accurate, up-to-date keyword ranking results.
Top agency rank tracking features:
- Get daily ranking updates automatically, plus on-demand refreshes (depending on your plan).
- Track your rankings from all locations worldwide with any set language on desktop and mobile.
- Monitor local rankings on 187 Google sites, 35 Yahoo! sites, 32 Bing sites, all Amazon Local sites, and YouTube.
- View historical ranking performance and competitor comparisons.
- Monitor SERP feature movements, including GMB listings and Map Packs.
- Generate 100% white-label reports with the template customization tool in supported languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Dutch.
- Generate white-label “live link” reports that clients can access to see daily or on-demand updates.
- Impress your clients with “MyRanks” – a customized reporting mobile app of their own.
- Give clients access to their ranking data via sub-accounts with flexible permissions.
Which Rank Tracking Tool is Right For Your Agency?
Rank tracking software is essential for agencies to show clients the work they’re doing is earning them visibility in the SERPs for their most important terms and to highlight new opportunities.
We looked at the four best agency rank tracking tools – three standalone trackers, plus one rank tracker that’s part of an all-in-one SEO platform.
My recommended standalone rank tracker is AccuRanker (aff). But if you’re looking for an agency rank tracking tool that’s part of an all-in-one platform, then I recommend SEMrush (aff).
As an agency, when you’re evaluating different solutions, remember to check for these key features:
- Access to fresh, accurate ranking data
- Tracking across location and device
- Monitor rankings across search engines
- Organize and segment ranking data
- View historical ranking performance
- Run competitor comparisons
- Monitor SERP feature movements
- Tie rankings to traffic and conversions
- Generate white-label rank reports
- Set user access and permissions
Let us know in the comments which agency rank tracker you’re using.